Vlg dating repairing mistakes in dating
The new VLG was inaugurated on June 21, 1941 under the callsign VLR.
However, because of confusion due to the fact that there were now two transmitters on the air under the same callsign, often simultaneously but with different programming, the new transmitter was allotted a new callsign, VLG.
The new transmitter at Lyndhurst was originally intended for use as a replacement for the quite old and low powered VLR, with just 2 k W at the time.
However, because of wartime exigencies, the new unit was taken into service as an additional shortwave transmitter for both the ABC and Radio Australia.
In the late 1950s, a new building was constructed over the old, and then the old was removed.
Three new transmitters were installed, one for each of the ABC program services VLR, VLG & VLH.
However in 1924, this same callsign was then applied to a new wireless station that was installed onto the small island of Mangaia in the Cook Islands.
The island called Mangaia, the most southerly in the Cook Island archipelago in the South Pacific, was discovered by the English Captain James Cook in 1777.
The Lyndhurst radio station was closed on June 12, 1987, and three of the youngest transmitters were removed and re-installed at the mediumwave transmitter site for 4QN at coastal Brandon in Queensland.This ship was built in Glasgow Scotland for the Union Steamship Company of New Zealand in 1911, it was named in honor of a high hill in the North Island of New Zealand, and it was in service between North America and the South Pacific.During World War 1, the Maunganui served as a troop ship; and during World War 2, it served as a hospital ship.This veritable liner was sold to Greece in 1948, and then just nine years later, it was broken up for scrap in Savonna, Italy.The callsign VLG was allotted to the Maunganui around the beginning of the First World War, and it was still in use thereon into the early 1920s.
Welcome to Teak Publishing's Shortwave Central blog.